Thursday, March 5, 2015

Grateful for Amazing People

I'm having some difficulty getting regular posts up this week. Between late nights at work, lack of sleep, and kid's activities, it's just not happening every evening. I saw this post on the Good News feed that I subscribe to (because I can't just always read the negative information in the news) about Mr. Rogers this week and really enjoyed it. I grew up watching Mr. Rogers, and to this day seeing a video of him makes me feel calm and protected. I realized as I was watching this clip that part of the reason I always felt such contentment watching his show is because he reminds me so much of my maternal grandfather.




I've written about him and my grandmother before. They were (still is in my grandmother's case) the most amazing people with so much love and strength. I often think about what my grandfather would think about me when I'm making choices about how to live my life. Would he be proud, or disappointed? I know that either way he'd still love me, but I would never want to disappoint him. He found ways to enjoy life and feel grateful despite losing the ability to move anything below his neck, even though he was a farmer. I still feel a profound loss since he's been gone. I loved visiting my grandparents on their farm when I was little. I don't enjoy it as much since he's been gone. It's too quiet without the sound of his respirator, or his bed rocking at night. While I still love to see my grandmother, it just isn't the same experience as when I was little.


My grandpa being silly
My grandpa and his dad, another great guy who lived to be 102
My grandparent's farm
My grandpa wearing his respirator and hanging out with my little brother
The world lost a couple of wonderful people within two years of each other. Only a small community was aware of a great man departing when my grandfather died in 2001. Nearly everyone in America (and probably in a couple of other countries) knew about it when Fred Rogers died in 2003. I'm so lucky that both men touched my life, one directly and one indirectly.

I think we're finally going to start thawing out here. It's been weird in Colorado to have several gray days and snow sticking around for a couple of weeks. It's made for some amazing icicles though, and the rabbits have clearly been having a party in our yard.

This morning before the sun was out
Sparkling in the afternoon sun

This is in the front which has gotten some sun so there isn't much snow left

No comments:

Post a Comment