Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Slow Down

One of my favorite albums (especially when I'm working out) is Our Darkest Days by Ignite. There's a song on the album called Slowdown and one of the lines in the chorus is:
When the day is through
All I want to do is slow down
While I realize that it's talking about doing too much, I need to keep this song on a loop in my head for another reason. I don't like making mistakes, even though I know full well that I am imperfect and will continue to make mistakes. I especially don't like it when I know the mistakes could have been prevented if I had just slowed down a bit. Yesterday was a doozy for mistakes as a result of rushing.

  1. I posted a picture of my new bike which was blurry. I was rushing so much that I didn't even stop to notice that the photo hadn't turned out. I posted a bad picture here and on my social media account.
  2. When a friend commented on said social media post that we should go on a bike ride together, I responded back that our "husband's could watch the kids." I didn't actually type that, but I didn't watch the auto-correct either. I'm not sure what our husbands were supposed to be possessing in that sentence.
  3. I thought I ordered a digital photo frame for a co-worker's birthday (the correct use of  the possessive apostrophe). But when it arrived yesterday it was a lighted photo frame. You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now about shopping on Amazon. It doesn't always show only items that match the search term, and I need to actually pay attention to what I'm ordering or putting on my wish list (this isn't even the first time I've done this, way to learn from my mistakes!)
All of this makes me wonder if I shouldn't be slower to judge and more understanding when I see mistakes that other people make, especially grammatical errors. Most of us don't have an editor who can clean up our writing. Although I still feel justified in being annoyed with published books which contain errors and should have had an editor. I guess it's true that we (should) never stop growing and learning.

I enjoyed my bike ride very much last night, I think I'll get a lot more use out of this type of bike than I have since I was a kid and my bike was my freedom. I won't be riding it today though since it snowed today. Springtime in Colorado is pretty unpredictable. Although by this afternoon it was sunny and pretty, just still too cold to ride.

The moisture-splattered "view" out my office window this morning at about 10:00 AM
A flowering tree in front of bright blue sky
Another flowering tree

No comments:

Post a Comment