Saturday, March 7, 2015

Snowshoeing in Rocky Mountain National Park

Every time I type snowshoeing I think I'm spelling it wrong since you don't drop the "e" before "ing." It's just one of those weird exception words.

At any rate, we had a good time snowshoeing today, though it was almost too warm. I think it was probably 45 degrees on our way back down the mountain. But the sky was such a lovely shade of blue that it was worth it.

This was the view out our cabin window this morning as the moon was going down behind the mountain.





A park ranger took this picture for us before we headed up this morning. It wasn't long before we all had to shed our coats because we got too warm.

My son and nephew before they headed off to build a snowman on Bear Lake while we went up the trail.

This sign is about 5 feet tall in the summer.





My husband at the top of a hill that we all climbed. It's so much more fun to leave the trail and wade through the snow that hasn't been tamped down.

My brother and my daughter working their way up the hill.



My husband tumbling back down the hill.

Gravity can be a cruel mistress when you're heading back down. My sister-in-law was in good spirits after her slide though!

My husband's second tumble coming down the hill.

My husband, my daughter, and me. You'll notice the coats tied around our waists at this point. The one not so great thing today is that my flippin' snow pants did not fit...at all. I couldn't even zip them up, let alone button them (you can probably tell in the photo). If I needed any additional motivation to lose weight, I think that'll do it. I was uncomfortable, embarrassed, and didn't enjoy the trip quite as much as I should have. I won't be weighing myself tomorrow, since there are no scales up here in the cabin. But I feel ready to get serious now so I won't feel like this again next winter.


It was warm enough that my son was running around in his short-sleeved shirt by the end! My brother, daughter, and mom are in the background.

A herd of bighorn sheep near the road. I NEVER see sheep when I come up here, though my mom and aunt always do. Maybe since I was with the two of them I actually got to see them. There was a male with huge horns standing further down the road, but I was driving and there wasn't anyplace to stop, so I wasn't able to get a picture of him.


A blue jay outside our cabin window. It's so lovely that I'm sitting here with the window open listing to the birds chatter to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment