Saturday, March 21, 2015

Unwrapping the Gift

A couple of years ago, a friend sent me a link to Katrina Kenison's YouTube video promoting her book, The Gift of an Ordinary Day. I highly recommend watching it, especially if you are a parent of children entering the teen years, just be prepared with a box of tissues. In the video, Kenison reads a short piece she wrote which sums up the book. Her basic point is that we tend to take photos and commemorate special events as our kids grow; but when they're no longer young we really miss the ordinary days with our kids. It's definitely something I try to keep in mind as time continues to pass so quickly with my children.

Kenison's earlier book, Mitten Strings for God is my new go-to gift for friends who become pregnant. It's a book I wish I'd had when my children were toddlers that reminds people to leave time and space in their schedule to be a family together. Since I'm a bit of a bibliophile, my go-to gift for new babies is the book Love You Forever. Funny side story: One night when my kids were little and my father-in-law was over at bedtime he offered to read them a bedtime story. I told my daughter to get that book out for him to read. My father-in-law is extremely emotional and sensitive and of course he started crying. My husband told me I had been mean, but I wasn't doing it just to make him cry; I knew he'd also really like the story. The tears were just an added bonus.

Yesterday I went to pick my son up from school and as we were walking up the creek he kept wanting to stop. My first instinct was to rush him along so we could get home and take care of chores. But I stopped myself and decided to just let him be. The years are numbered now where he'll want me to walk along with him and watch the fish and ducks in the creek. Plus, the spring weather was beautiful and there were several bushes which were starting to leaf out.

Watching the fish swim
Watching the ducks waddle up the hillside
The bright blue spring sky
New growth
This morning I took my daughter out to get hair cuts and run an errand. She asked if we could also run past the craft store because she had some new ideas she wanted to try out.

T-shirt sponge painted with Dream Theater's majesty symbol
T-shirt sponge painted with moon and stars
I reminded myself to enjoy the time with her where the two of us could have uninterrupted conversation, a rarity at home with all the activity. I'm not sure why, but she seems to be more willing to open up and talk when we're in the car together.

I've spent the past couple of days savoring the gift of ordinary time I have with my kiddos.

I'll be doing a regular weigh-in tomorrow, but the results won't be as drastic as last week. It's not for lack of trying as I've stuck to my calorie counting, even skipping a meal out with my family because I knew I'd overeat at the restaurant they had picked. This happened the last time I lost weight, it's almost as if my body has to adjust metabolically to lowered calories. When I first start restricting the calories the weight practically melts off. Then I think my body goes into survival mode since it thinks I'm starving and holds onto the weight. But as long as I keep restricting my calories the weight will start to come off again. Luckily my daughter chose steamed artichokes and grilled chicken breasts for her homemade birthday dinner tonight, so I can easily stay within my calorie count for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment