Friday, February 27, 2015

Deliberate Choices



This morning I was very tired when the alarm went off and decided to try a workout recommended on the Skimble app called "Yoga for Anxiety." After I finished the workout I meditated for a couple of minutes and thought about how I wanted the day to go. I decided that I wanted to choose my responses rather than just reacting. I wanted to be patient, and treat others with kindness. There could have been more, but I thought that was enough to focus on for now. The thing is, through both genetics and upbringing, I'm wired to respond pretty negatively. So I think it's time for some intentional brain circuitry rewiring. My resolution for the day was tested fairly early in the morning when my boss emailed me to let me know she wouldn't be attending a meeting that she had requested, even though she'd been stressing me out earlier in the week about how important the work was to get done. But I slowed myself down and instead of getting upset, decided to just see it as a gift that the meeting would go quicker and be more productive without her.

This headline makes me feel vindicated for talking about the snow so much: It's Official - This is our snowiest February in Denver. It wasn't the most pleasant drive to work, although I put some music on, and just remained patient. I managed to keep my resolution for the day during the drive into work; one for win column! It started snowing again around 7:30 this morning, and while I don't like driving in the snow (well, I wouldn't mind if there were no other cars on the road), I do love having the snow. Walking home after my son's play performance last night (in which he was amazing!), it was cold at only 11 F, but it was also extraordinarily beautiful. Sounds were muffled and we could smell wood burning in fireplaces. The clouds were lifting so we could see the moon peeking out. The creek and all of the trees were covered in a sparkling blanket of white. There was a duck couple out for a late evening swim. It was the quintessential winter evening, and I couldn't help but think of Robert Frost.

The snow stopped and the sun came back out this afternoon when I walked my son home from school.





No comments:

Post a Comment