Sunday, February 22, 2015

Snowy Sunday

I didn't have the courage to weigh myself this morning after seriously overeating last night, so I'm not doing a regular check in this week. Last night we were supposed to go out for my birthday dinner with my in-laws. In the afternoon we decided that the roads weren't too bad so we could make the trek down to the highlands area of Denver for dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant, La Loma. But then around 4:30 the snow really started coming down heavily again and the wind was blowing like crazy as the temperature was plummeting. The roads were awful but my father-in-law still thought we could make it. Fortunately, he realized pretty quickly that the roads were just too treacherous and we turned around and had dinner at their house. Luckily my mother-in-law had a plan B since we knew the weather was moving in.

After an extremely rough week at work, I decided that I was going to indulge in several glasses of wine. I've never really been drunk in my life (I know, I clearly missed much of the college experience), and last night I had 5 glasses of wine. I still wasn't sloppy drunk, but I was definitely more than a little tipsy. Not only did I overdo it on the drink, I also overdid it on the food. My mother-in-law is an amazing cook and she offered appetizers in addition to the main dish and dessert. So I was too chicken to stand on the scale this morning.

My father-in-law gave me the most wonderful birthday present last night. Back in October, I saw this article about the slide rule and decided that it would be fun to learn how to use one. So I asked my mom if I could have my dad's old slide rule. She and I had both forgotten that my brother had already taken that. I'm not sure why he wanted it, he actively hates math. But he wanted it and so I conceded to him. I looked online to see about getting one, but they're just too expensive to justify spending that money on a novelty. I thought I had found a reasonably priced one and put it on my Christmas list, but it turned out to be a t-rule. My father-in-law who worked as an engineer had two slide rules, the one he started college with, and a nicer one he got during his junior year at college. So he gave me that original slide rule for my birthday. Now I'm going to have to google how to use it so I can play with it.





I'm really hoping that we have a snow day tomorrow. We have quite a bit of snow, but that's not really the problem because we're used to heavy snow. This is a wet snow (which is a bit unusual for Denver) and the temperature is just sitting at the wrong spot where everything is immediately turning to ice. I don't want to try to drive in this weather during heavy traffic tomorrow. I'm also worried about the poor kids standing at the bus stop in the single degree temperatures if the buses have any trouble getting around. If our school district cancels school tomorrow, that covers everyone else in my family. Then I just need Denver Public Schools to cancel school, because our office closes if DPS closes. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment