Monday, February 23, 2015

Yucky Day

We didn't get a snow day today, despite the fact that the Colorado House and Senate were closed due to the road conditions, and buses were delayed by 90 minutes in some cases. It was 10 degrees outside and snowing again this morning at 7:45, and kids were having to wait outside in that weather for 90 minutes! I'm ranting right now because it was such a lousy day at work, and then dumping this on top of it just really upsets me. My kids were fine because my husband dropped my son off at the Before School program, and my daughter arranged a ride to the bus stop with my father-in-law. But other people's kids potentially weren't fine, and that upsets me.

We had a layoff at work today. Since I'm the HR analyst, I have to do much of the front-end work on these awful events. Because we were short staffed, I also had to participate a little in the actual notifications today. It stunk! While I recognize that I'm luckier than the people who no longer have employment, it's not easy on this end either, especially as the job load increases. This is actually why I ended up leaving my last job. The company kept laying more and more people off, and my workload just kept getting larger and larger. The CFO said one time that I was surviving the layoffs because I was his "utility player". The problem was that I felt like he was asking me to play all the positions at the same time. Just doesn't work. Now it's starting to look like I'm headed down the same path at this job. Sigh...



My mom gave me this necklace for my birthday and told me that she wanted me to always remember how much she loved me. (My birthstone is amethyst.) So I wore it today to help me to focus on the right things. I wasn't 100% successful, but it did help to be reminded occasionally about what really matters in this life: family, friends, and relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment