Sunday, February 8, 2015

Weekly Progress Report #6 and Some Random Thoughts

I'm going to start off this week by saying that we are having the most beautiful weather right now. I love winter and snow, but since that's not what we're getting right now, I'm just enjoying the fact that I can walk outside in a short-sleeved shirt at the moment.

The moon this morning
The sky was such a lovely shade of blue this morning
Friday afternoon's bright sunshine
The moon last Thursday morning (edited)
Weight:  142.7 pounds
Weight Change:  - 1.7 pounds


As well as counting calories worked for me in the past, I haven't been able to recapture that success again. So I'm trying a different approach since this hasn't been working. I'm no longer strictly watching what I eat, I'm just trying to be sensible. I'm eating when I'm hungry and trying to eat a reasonable amount of things that I know are good for me. However, when I'm really in the mood for something that isn't good for me, I'm not denying myself because that just makes me want it more. So I'm still "indulging" in moderation. It seems to have worked for me this week. I imagine that it will take longer to lose weight using this approach, but I'm hoping that it'll be steadier and easier to maintain long-term. It doesn't feel so much like I'm depriving myself, so I don't feel the urge to binge so much. I'll let you know if it keeps working.

My husband I watched an incredibly disturbing documentary last night. It was called Dreams of Life, about a woman in London who died right before Christmas in 2003, and wasn't discovered until three years later. It was this perfect confluence of circumstances which allowed her to basically disappear off the radar without anyone realizing it. She didn't stay in regular contact with her family, she was in and out of her friends' lives, she wasn't holding a steady job, and she was getting housing assistance so her landlord didn't get antsy about the rent sooner. The weird things were that her television remained on for 3 years (I can't believe the utility company didn't shut her off), and one of her neighbors in a nearby flat said he had smelled something weird, but never bothered to report it. She was only 38 years old, and by the time she was discovered, too much decomposition had occurred to determine the cause of death. Though no foul play was suspected because her deadbolt and chain were on the door and they had to break in when they finally found her.

I just can't imagine being that alone in life. It made me feel extremely grateful for my family and friends, and my stable (if boring) life.

No comments:

Post a Comment