Saturday, January 10, 2015

Thoughts on Workouts, Work, and Family

Sunrise out my front window this morning
I had tangible proof this morning that I got really good workouts in for the last two days.  Yesterday morning I did boxing and this morning I did dumbbell circuits.  For the third and fourth circuits this morning I had to use lighter weights for a couple of the exercises.  The backs of my arms and shoulders are now pretty sore.  In fact, when I tried to take off my sports bra, something that isn't normally a big deal, I wasn't sure that I was actually going to be able to get it off.  But with persistence and patience I eventually succeeded.  Although I think it took almost one minute, rather than the usual five to ten seconds.

Other than good workouts, it's been a rough couple of days.  I have decided that I have to figure out how to re-frame and respond differently to my one particularly difficult coworker.  She wears me out emotionally and then I come home and my son has been extra challenging of late, so I can't ever fill my bucket back up.  The reality is this woman is never going to change, and quite frankly, I hear her on the phone with her family (she has a loud voice that carries) and she treats them the same way.  So I don't think it's personal, and I have to figure out how to stop taking it personally.  So that's a new goal which is related to my goal about being more present at home by leaving work at work.

ADHD is different than I had always imagined it to be before I had first-hand experience with it.  I thought it just meant that kids wouldn't focus or sit still.  But it's so much more than that.  It's making impulsive choices that can have very negative consequences.  It's abdicating control of feelings and emotions so my son can be very hateful at times.  I am grateful that this particular issue happens pretty exclusively at home so other people who might not love him unconditionally don't have to deal with it.  But sometimes it's hard not to take it personally and wonder what I've done to deserve that kind of treatment.

Hopefully today will help me to get recharged.  My mom took my kids for the day, so my husband and I are going to hang out and go to a movie together.  Maybe when the kids come home tonight, I'll be a little more recharged and ready to patiently deal with whatever new surprises get thrown our way!


No comments:

Post a Comment