Monday, January 19, 2015

Eating Failure and Parenting Success

I'm frustrated about the fact that I put weight back on this weekend even after being so careful.  So I was pouting today and didn't eat well at all.  I was actually doing the whole "it's not working anyway so why put myself through that" rationalization while I ate too much at lunch.  I know it was immature and counter-productive, so I plan on getting back on track tomorrow.

One thing that hasn't been frustrating me lately is my interactions with my children.  They've both been so pleasant and fun lately.  My son has been very compassionate and kind to my husband as he deals with the loss of his grandmother.  When my kids were little they used to tell us that the angels painted the sky when they saw the sunrise.  Last Friday morning here in Denver we had a particularly beautiful sunrise and my son told my husband, "it looks like a new angel painted the sky today, it must be Grandma."  That certainly helped to soften the grief a little bit.  He attended a sleepover birthday party this past weekend and the birthday boy's mother told me that her little son was attached to my son at the hip and that my son was so good with him.  My son can be uber-challenging at times, so I really treasure these times.

My daughter decided she wanted to paint with her spare time yesterday.  She's not 100% pleased with the result, but for a quick afternoon craft: color me impressed.  She may go back and touch it up as the bottom of the silhouette isn't dark enough for her tastes.


She's really getting to the age where she makes a good companion now.  She's always been fun to be around, but now she's reaching the age where we can have actual conversations (she'll be starting high school in the fall.)  With today being Martin Luther King, Jr. day, they've been studying him in school.  She told me that they had learned about some of the less inspirational parts of his life the other day and she wasn't sure she liked hearing that.  I told her that I actually find it more inspirational that a human being with all of our shortcomings and failings could muster the strength and courage to do the things he did.  I think it actually made sense to her and opened her eyes a little bit.  I loved having little kids, and I still miss having little ones running around, but I am finding a great deal of enjoyment in parenting older children now too.

No comments:

Post a Comment