Monday, January 12, 2015

The Circle of Life


This isn't the post I set out to write today, but things changed throughout the day.  My husband's grandmother was placed in Hospice today.  In many ways it will be a blessing if she goes quickly because she hasn't been herself in years due to Alzheimer's.  My husband's grandfather has been wearing himself out taking care of her full-time.  Even so, he's losing his wife of over 60 years and my mother-in-law is losing her mother, which is difficult regardless of the circumstances.

We've reached the point in the cycle where our family is no longer growing; it's starting to shrink as we lose people.  I know that this will come back around in about 15 years and we'll start adding to it again when our kids are old enough to get married and start families.  This part of the cycle isn't much fun though.

We've been prepared for this news for a few months, and right now we're just feeling thankful that she had one last Christmas.  My posts may be a little spotty over the next couple of days, depending on where I'm needed to support the people who will be grieving.  If you feel so inclined, you might want to give the people you love a hug today, because you can't tell people how much they mean to you once they're gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment