Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Winding Down



While the summer season isn't over yet, (the high was almost 90 today) it is starting to wind down.  I have to turn the lights on when I shower at 5:00 in the morning now as it's too dark to shower by natural light.  My chrysanthemums are blooming, and my husband who is a teacher has returned to work.  We already did our back to school shopping (and dang, was that expensive!) and this week is the last week of the summer program for my son.


I always have mixed feelings this time of year.  I'm not overly fond of extreme heat, so I'm looking forward to cooler weather.  I love the colors and smells of autumn.  I also love getting to read my fall/Halloween books, and preparing for the Halloween holiday.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
October Dreams edited by Richard Chizmar and Robert Morrish
The new school year is also kind of exciting, for me at least.  Although I always feel a little nostalgic remembering my school days which I loved when we visit on back to school night.  My work doesn't have a natural break or rhythm like school, it's just non-stop.

But despite all the things I'm looking forward to, the end of summer marks the accelerating passage of time.  It's another ending.  Plus, my husband does all the cleaning during the summer and once he goes back to work I have to reclaim my chores.  But whether I'm mentally prepared or not, summer is going to draw to a close.  So I guess I'd better get myself ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment