Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Progress on Multiple Fronts

My husband found a book titled 10 Days to a Less Defiant Child that has really helped us to approach our son differently and we've seen a positive improvement.  It's not a miracle and now we have absolutely no problems, but it really has helped us, and him, to do better.  It's exciting to see positive progress.  I'm also finding myself able to enjoy him more and just appreciate him for who he is.  Now we'll see if we can keep it up once school starts, and get the teacher on board from day one.

There was a quote in that book that applies to every positive change we try to make:  "Strive for progress, not perfection."  That really made me think about my weight loss attempts.  I think partly because I haven't immediately reached my goal I've felt disenchanted and stopped even trying very hard.  I did just get back from vacation and was able to hold steady, so that's definitely going in the "win" column.  But I think if I can keep this idea in mind that I just need to be making progress, I won't become so easily disillusioned and ready to just throw up my hands.

I've also been doing some professional soul-searching and feel like I'm in a much better place.  I'm just not taking things so personally and I'm not worrying about other people's issues.  There are still some folks who are unpleasant and aren't pulling their weight, but it's not my problem.  I just need to make sure I'm doing a good job and continuing to grow.  I may have some other news in the work arena in the next few weeks; but either way I'm in a better head space now.  Of course just returning from vacation might be helping that also!

This is a picture of the sky during my walk with my husband last night.  The colors were just so pretty that I had to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment