Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Another Course Correction



I was MIA this weekend and yesterday because of how busy my life has been.  Or really that's just an excuse, because I could have made the time, but I used every spare minute that I had to read The Queen of Bedlam.  It's one of those books that I had a really hard time starting as it's obviously written for a male audience (my brother recommended it to me), but once it took off I couldn't put it down.  So I read instead of writing.



I'm back today now that I've finished the book to share another required course correction.  In my quest to make choices that add up the best possible version of me, I've decided that I need to work on few things and set a few goals.
  • I want to weigh 125 pounds by Halloween.  I'm going to start posting my weekly chart again this weekend to hold myself accountable to myself and my readers.
  • I want to focus on the positives in my life and be more grateful for all that I have.  I especially want to be more positive at work, which has always been the toughest place for me to maintain a positive attitude.
  • I want to make more of an effort to connect with my friends.  My kids won't always be at home, and I'm going to be awfully lonely someday if I haven't made an effort to have a life outside of my immediate family.
Work was somewhat challenging again today and I'm emotionally worn out.  I know that it doesn't matter what I think other people should do and that I need to live in reality.  I just wish people would understand that if we all spent time working together instead of at cross-purposes or just trying to get out of as much work as possible; we'd be so much more successful.  We'd also probably all feel better and have more energy.  But some people seem bound and determined to expend all of their energy on avoiding work, which could have been accomplished in the time they spent trying to foist it off to someone else.  Clearly my second bullet point above is going to be the most challenging item.

I'm pretty sad about Robin Williams.  This celebrity death has definitely hit me harder than any other.  I think it's because I grew up watching him and he's not that old.  I imagine that I'll experience this more and more as I continue to age.  I'm especially sad because he wasn't able to get the help he needed to fight his own demons.  Accidents and illnesses are tough to deal with, but suicide is hard to get my head around.  I don't like to think of any other human being feeling so alone and lost.  It's just a reminder that we don't always know what's happening on the inside, and we should all try to be as kind as loving as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment