Friday, June 6, 2014

Successful Day

I've managed to make some pretty good choices today, both with food and with stress management.  My husband and daughter are both out of town so it's just me and my son right now.  My son was very tired this morning when I woke him up to take him to his summer program so I could go to work, and he wasn't moving very fast.  It was stressing me out quite a bit, but I managed not to yell and to stay calm.  He finally started moving and even had a few minutes to play before we had to leave.  So it turned out fine, and it might not have if I had lost my cool and started yelling.

After I dropped my son off I headed into the office.  On most days I ride the bus, but on Fridays I usually drive since we work half days.  I knew that I was getting on the highway at a difficult time of the morning, but didn't realize how bad it was going to be.  It was completely stop and go for most of the drive.  I could feel myself starting to get stressed out again, but was able to use self-talk and calm myself down.  I don't actually have to be in the office until 8:00 on Fridays, I just usually get there around 6:15 because I always have so much work to do if I want to leave on time.  I knew I'd still make it before 8:00, and there was nothing I could do about the traffic, so I just calmed down and enjoyed my music, and still made it to work by about 7:15.

I actually had a really good day at work also.  I got to spend most of the day doing what I'm best at:  trouble-shooting.  My boss was out unexpectedly so I didn't get any interruptions and I was able to configure a change in our HR system that will make things easier for everyone.  So the morning flew by and I left the office feeling pretty good about what I'd been able to accomplish.  This is also why I like to work from home so much, I do my best work when I can just focus without constant interruptions.

I did have one problem with my choices both yesterday and today.  I never wrote a post yesterday because Stephen King's latest book, Mr. Mercedes, came out this week.  I managed to wait one whole day after it showed up on my Kindle to start reading because I told myself I wouldn't start it until I'd finished the book I was reading for work.  But once I started it, I fell into my addict habits and couldn't put it down.  It's actually pretty amazing that I even made it into work today.  I've finished it now, which is why I'm managing to get a blog post written today.  It wasn't my favorite Stephen King book, but as usual it was well written with phenomenal character development, so I'd highly recommend it.  There was nothing supernatural in this one, it was about one messed up, scary dude.

I've been making pretty good choices with food this week.  I'm trying a different approach where I'm not counting my calories so strictly (since I seem to want to rebel against that right now), and I'm focusing more on eating reasonable portions when I feel hungry.  It seems to be working, so hopefully I'll have good results to post on Sunday's weigh in.

Tomorrow morning I'm going on a bike ride with my son.  We have quite a bit of open space around our house and there are eagle's nests that he wants to go look at.  I had been holding this out as a reward for him really getting good at riding his bike, and he's now earned it.  I hope that everyone has a great weekend and gets to spend it doing things you love!

Pictures I took while on a walk with my mom and son last night.




No comments:

Post a Comment