Monday, June 2, 2014

Leavin' on a Jet Plane


I put my 13-year old on a plane tonight headed to Europe.  She's flying into Heathrow and she'll spend a couple of days in London.  Then she'll ride the chunnel train to Paris where she'll spend a couple of days.  Finally they'll ride the night train to Italy where they'll spend time in Rome, Venice, Pompeii, and the Isle of Capri.  This is a chance of lifetime and I'm so proud of her for being nominated to go on trip based on academic performance and character.  But I've never been away from her for this long since the day she was born, and I already miss her.

Getting her ready this way made me think about when we have to get her ready to head off to college, and I'm freaking out a bit because that's only five years away.  I know that's still awhile away, but the past thirteen years have gone by so fast, I know the next five years will go by in the blink of an eye.  Thank goodness I still have my son here.  I can't even imagine what I'm going to do when he goes to college, I'm probably going to suffer from empty nest syndrome pretty badly.  But maybe I should stop worrying about eight years from now and work on truly appreciating the time I have right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment