Thursday, June 12, 2014

Missing My Girl



My daughter left for Europe on Monday, June 2.  I've spoken with her twice on the phone, and we've texted several times, but it's just not the same as having her here at home and I miss her.  We get to pick her up at the airport tomorrow night around 7:00 PM and I can't hardly wait!  I hope she's prepared to get a huge hug, right in front of everyone at the airport.  (Does that embarrass 13-year olds even after they've been gone for a long time?  Probably.)

I'm so glad that she earned this opportunity, and that we were able to send her on this trip.  I know she got to have an experience that not everyone will get.  I hope her eyes were opened to other cultures, she'll have amazing memories, and that she'll have forged a stronger bond with some of her friends.  But I'm ready to have our family back together as a whole unit.  I've enjoyed the time with my husband and son and am truly appreciative that I got that time also.  But there's nothing better than the whole family under the same roof.

I guess this is just a teaser of what it'll be like in only five short years when she heads off to college, and we'll almost always be a family of three.  I know that I'll be fine when that day comes, but I also know that I'll have to work hard to get to fine.  One of the most important ways that I define myself is as a mother, sometimes I'm not entirely sure who I'd be without that role.  I guess this is why it's so important to nurture my other interests and my relationship with my husband now, so that when I reach the point where I don't have children needing me all the time, I won't feel totally lost and rudderless.




No comments:

Post a Comment