Wednesday, June 11, 2014

AfterShokz Review

I like to listen to music when I work out, especially when I'm jogging or running because I think it helps me to keep my pace up.  I've mentioned before that I have miniature ears and I have a problem with ear buds.  Even the child sized ear buds are almost too big.  I did find a pair that I could wear if I put the smallest bud covers on, but they weren't the highest quality and it was extremely frustrating when they weren't working because it made me less likely to want to run.  My husband heard about a new product called AfterShokz which don't actually go in your ear.  They use bone-conduction speakers so you put them next to your ears and your head sort of works like an antenna.

I thought I'd give those a try since the size of my ears wouldn't matter.  One of the reviews that I read did say that other people could hear them, so you couldn't necessarily use them in all of the same settings where you'd normally use headphones.  I've never been one to use headphones in particularly noisy settings because I'm not willing to turn them up loud enough and risk damaging my hearing.  So that wasn't a major drawback for me and I went ahead with ordering them.

I've had them for a couple of weeks now and I've run with them several times and really like them.  Since they don't go in your ears you can still hear the ambient noises around you.  So I can have my pounding music which helps me to run faster, and can still hear the rustling of the leaves in the wind and the birds and insects singing.  They're also better for safety reasons because for the few times when I have to leave the trail and cross the road I can hear cars.

I went ahead and got the bluetooth version since I didn't really want to deal with the cord that tends to shift while I'm running and I have to constantly mess with it.  One time I had a little trouble with the music breaking up, but that was an isolated incident that hasn't been repeated.  I did have an issue on Monday morning when I had used them with my tablet over the weekend and they were still paired with it.  My husband was still sleeping since school's out for the summer so I didn't want to go back into my bedroom and risk waking him up, so I did without music Monday morning.

Overall they work well and deliver good sound quality.  I would recommend them to anyone who likes music while working out or even just walking around because they're so much safer since you can still hear what's happening around you.

My roses are blooming

The moon last night



No comments:

Post a Comment