Thursday, June 19, 2014

Moon Shadows

I didn't get a post written yesterday because I left work to walk the two miles from downtown Denver to the highlands and meet my family so we could take my mother-in-law out to dinner and celebrate her retirement.  We got home pretty late and I just didn't have it in my to write a post before crawling into bed.  The walk was really nice though, it makes me feel like I earned a little bit of my dinner.  It's completely uphill, after all, the area is known as the "highlands" for a reason.  I also have to use a pedestrian bridge over I-25, so it's noisy for part of the walk, but it's still kind of nice to use your feet to get around.



This morning I noticed how interesting the light patterns were on the floor, so I decided to take a few minutes and make a photo.  The brighter light is from the street light outside, and the dimmer light is from the moon.  Of course I starting hearing Van Morrison's Moon Shadows in my head.  I decided it would be worth it to take the time to set up my tripod and get the picture because it's such a rare phenomenon.

I set the ISO to 2000, opened the aperture fairly wide, and adjusted the exposure to +3.  The camera was set on aperture-priority mode so it automatically selected the appropriate shutter speed.  I looked at the image that I got and it beautifully captured the shadows and shapes, but it was really red due to the overexposure.  So I changed the image to black and white, and was able to basically capture what I was seeing to share with all of you.

I also wanted to share a photo that I took a few weeks ago of some our blooming ground cover that I ran across again and liked, and a couple of pictures from Sorrento, which was my daughter's favorite stop on her European tour.




No comments:

Post a Comment