Monday, February 17, 2014

Weighty Issues

I sometimes find myself feeling jealous of others who don't seem to have make such difficult choices when it comes to food and exercise.  I've known two people who have truly struggled with trying to put weight on.  They have been just as frustrated as I am that it's so hard to keep it off.  But it can be hard not to feel envious when they can eat larger portion sizes and regular sodas and still not gain a pound.  I just have to remind myself that they would like to gain a pound, and probably sometimes feel jealous that I have to work to keep the weight off.

I'll never forget the vitriol that flowed after Kate Moss told an interviewer that her mantra was "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."  I fully understand that people are (understandably) upset about the unrealistic expectations that the fashion and modeling industries place on young girls and how that can contribute to eating disorders and other problems.  But I also think that Kate Moss was trying to use that mantra to help her make good food choices.  Of course it would have probably been better to replace skinny with healthy.  But support for everyone in their health choices and in learning to like themselves better as they are would be much more beneficial than judging and condemning.

We shouldn't judge others as we don't know what their particular journey is like or how they feel about their weight.  And although I am working towards a lower weight so I'll be healthier, more comfortable, and more confident; I also think we should all focus less on physical appearance and more on the content of our character.  I sometimes wonder how many people make resolutions to be kinder?  Imagine what good we could do in the world if instead of all those New Year's resolutions to be thinner, everyone focused on being good to each other.  Just a thought.

I also need to report my weekly weigh-in.  I actually posted an early weigh-in to try and keep myself honest over my birthday weekend.  I did go back up to 134 pounds, but I think that's pretty good considering the delicious, gourmet birthday dinners (yes, plural) that I got treated to.





No comments:

Post a Comment