Monday, February 3, 2014

Lack of Progress

As I had anticipated, my weigh-in yesterday was disappointing.  After doing fairly well early in the week, I gave in to my desire to stress eat at the end of the week and so the scale was right back at 136 when I stood on it yesterday.  I wanted to stress eat again today after getting about 4 hours of sleep last night and still being in the middle of my annual crush time at work.  However, I've avoided doing so thus far.  Now I just need to eat a good dinner.

I have a whole new level of sympathy for single parents after a weekend without my husband.  Last night when I was attempting to sleep without much luck, my son came into my bedroom at about 10:30 telling me he'd thrown up.  I know that I should be a loving and supportive mother who comforts her child who just got sick, but my son has a talent for making himself vomit whenever he wants to get out of something.  Of course what he wanted to get out of was going back to school on Monday.  I've mentioned that things are pretty crazy right now at work and there was NO way I could miss work today.  So I had my son brush his teeth, I put the soiled blanket in the hamper, (I am still feeling extremely grateful that it was just one blanket and I didn't have to remake the whole bed or get a cleaning bucket out.!), got my son a drink of water, and told him to go back to sleep.

Given the continuing sleep issues I experience, this was not conducive to climbing back into my bed and falling asleep.  So after tossing and turning for about an hour and feeling freezing cold and achy (my body's normal reaction to exhaustion), I got up and took some ibuprofen.  I don't like to take medicine and I certainly couldn't take a sleeping aid at 11:30 at night when my alarm goes off at 4:15.  But I thought just taking away some of the achiness might help me to actually fall asleep.  It did eventually work and I was sleeping pretty well when the alarm went off, which tends to make it quite jarring.

I did manage to complete my workout and get my son ready and off to school on time this morning so I wasn't late to work, so that was a huge achievement!  Tonight I'll pick my husband up from the airport with a whole new appreciation for having him as my partner.  Raising children is hard work, and I am very lucky to have help most of the time.  I'm also really lucky in that my parents and my in-laws are close and always willing to help out, although I don't like to impose too often.

This week I will make better choices about food and eating, and I know I'll have more encouraging weigh-in results to report next week.  Also, my work clothes will fit better!


1 comment:

  1. My son has that same talent, actually. So, I know exactly what you are saying! And I also know that whole appreciation for single parents. Even if we take the bulk of it, what they do take to help us DOES make a difference! :)

    ReplyDelete