Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Doing Dishes May Be Hazardous To Your Health

I've often said that it's a good thing my parents didn't name me "Grace" as I might have had to change my name in shame.  I've been doing dishes for a LONG time.  When I was really little we had a portable dishwasher.  When it died my parents never replaced it.  We often asked my dad to get a dishwasher, but he always responded, "I don't need a dishwasher; I've already got two dishwashers."  Referring of course, to my brother and me.  So I grew up hand washing dishes, and lots of them.  Even though I do have a dishwasher now, I actually still do a great deal of hand washing because my husband likes his kitchen toys, and many of the nicer knives and pans can't go in the dishwasher.

This scar an my right hand is from doing dishes in college.



I had my hand inside of a glass and was spinning the dish rag when the glass shattered.  I was alone and had quite an interesting time driving with a towel on my hand to get somewhere where I could get some help with steri-strips to close it up.  In hindsight, I probably should have gotten stitches so the scar wouldn't have been so large, but oh well.

Last night I was doing dishes and walked over to the table to pick up two mugs to place them in the dishwasher.  My husband had Modern Family on the TV, which is one show I really enjoy.  So instead of walking like a normal person, I backed up to the sink watching the TV and carrying the mugs.  Of course I ran into the open dishwasher door and tripped.  We have a very hard tile in our kitchen and I was actually kind of scared that I was going to crack open my head, especially since I didn't have a free hand to catch myself.

Luckily the only damage is a nasty bruise and cut on my elbow and one smashed mug - I managed to save the other one!  I guess there are some advantages to having some padding on my backside.  But I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should just stop doing dishes since there have been several other minor cuts throughout the years also.  Just kidding (mostly)...but if I happen to die in a household accident someday, I'm sure it'll be while I'm doing the dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment