Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Attempting to Juggle

There's a song by a band named Enchant called Juggling Knives that I really relate to.  Especially the line, "and now the choice is juggling nine or dropping ten."  That pretty much sums up my life, and I suspect the lives of most parents of young children.  My life feels like this precariously balanced house of cards, and as long as everything is going along exactly as expected, then I can manage.  But this is life after all, and there are frequent unexpected events.  Calls from the school, a deadline changed at work, a last-minute meeting for me or my husband.  And since everything is so precariously balanced to begin with, that one little thing can send the whole mess tumbling.

It can make choosing the correct course somewhat difficult at times.  Although when I do make good choices, it is at least one thing that I feel like I have some control over.  So I try to remind myself how good that feels and that I should keep making those good choices.  I don't know how to truly solve this problem.  I suppose eventually my children will grow up and then it won't be such an issue.  But I guess until then, I'll keep trying to juggle, and hope that people stop trying to throw that tenth knife in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment