Thursday, February 20, 2014

Sick and Tired and Being Sick and Tired

I'm sick...AGAIN!  I used to get sick about once every 2 years.  Since I started working downtown about 2 years ago now, I've been sick about the same number of times that I had been sick in the prior 12 years.  It's starting to get fairly frustrating.  I accepted long ago that I'd always be tired since I haven't slept well in about a decade.  But being sick all the time on top of it is almost more than I can deal with.  I'm especially disappointed right now because I get to go snowshoeing this weekend which I look forward to all year, and I don't know how much stamina I'm going to have.  Also, I'm participating in a series of 5Ks and I'm supposed to be training.  Between the ice which lasted way longer than it should have recently in Denver, and getting sick every month, I imagine I'll be doing a jog/walk instead of a run for at least the first race.

I was trying to decide what's causing the problem, and I really don't know, but I'm guessing it's a combination of things.  I use public transit now so I'm sure I'm exposed to a multitude of new germs.  I am pretty good about regular hand washing (the amount of hand lotion I go through can attest to that!), but I'm probably not so great about keeping my hands away from my face.  I tend to rest my chin in my hands when I'm thinking.  When I worked in the suburbs I used to work out most days during lunch in the open space across the street, so I got plenty of fresh air and vitamin D.  Now I get up before work to work out when it's still dark (even in the summer) and the air downtown where I spend my days is simply more polluted.  I don't have any more stress than I did previously, some of it is a different kind, but I would say the overall level is the same.  So I think it's some combination of lack of exposure to sunlight, polluted air, and being around so many more people.

Now I just need to figure out what to do about it.  I suppose choosing NOT to whine would be a good first step (I'm attempting to nudge myself at the moment).  But every once in awhile it does feel good to just vent for a minute or two!  My husband swears by Kick-Ass Immune and I've tried using it, but I didn't see a big enough improvement to make it worth choking the stuff down.  So I guess I'll just keep trying to wash my hands and try to get better about keeping them away from my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment