Thursday, April 30, 2015

Morning Nature Walk Along the Creek

I worked from home today and when my son asked if he could stay with me until school started rather than going to the before-school program, I decided to let him. He only has about four weeks of elementary school left after all. I was so happy to have the opportunity to walk him down the creek to school this morning.

In addition to the reward of time with my son, we got to hear and see lots of animals. We listened to the chitter of the squirrels, and the calls of the black-capped chickadee, the morning dove, and the crows. We heard ducks calling out as they flew overhead, and enjoyed the sight of the male mallard duck's beautiful blue-green head shining in the morning sun. We heard rabbits in the underbrush and watched them hop away as we got closer. We got to see the three baby owls and their mother who are nesting in a cottonwood tree along the creek this spring.






The phone camera did a good job with most of the pictures this morning, but I wasn't able to zoom in as much as I wanted to on the owls. There are actually two of the babies in the photo above, one is easy to spot because of the sun highlighting the face, the other is more hidden in the leaves and shadows. I was wishing I had brought along my actual camera when I saw these guys.

What a glorious way that was to start the morning off. I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to work from home occasionally.

On a side note: I'm currently rereading Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King because 1) I love that book; and 2) I'm feeling like a bit of a Luddite today and wanted to hold a bound, paper book.

No comments:

Post a Comment