Thursday, April 2, 2015

Continuing Sleep Struggles

I'm continuing to have issues getting a decent amount of sleep each night. I did try coloring when I awoke at 1:00 on Tuesday night (I guess technically that's Wednesday morning) and couldn't go back to sleep. I was able to get back into bed and fall asleep within 10 to 15 minutes after coloring for about 20 minutes. Last night I thought I had a good chance of getting some solid rest. I got the kids ready for bed, read an article in my Discover magazine, and did some relaxing yoga stretches. I went to bed a little after 8:30 (I get up at 4:15) and fell asleep pretty quickly. 

Shortly after 9:00 my husband came home. The garage door went up, then down. He was good about closing the bathroom door while he brushed his teeth, but then when he came over to the bed, he was noisy! His plethora of electronics had multiple alarms going off and he kept bumping into and dropping things. So around 9:30 I gave up and left the bedroom. Of course I closed the door so I wouldn't wake him. I read again for awhile and dozed briefly on the couch, then climbed back into bed around 10:45.

I did decide against sleeping pills again for the time being as I've continued reading and it sounds like forcing one's body to associate with bed with sleep is the best option. That means I have to get up and get out of bed if I can't fall asleep or stay asleep. I have to do that every time until my body understands what it's supposed to be doing when I lie down in bed. I haven't been able to solve this problem in over 10 years, but hope springs eternal!

We've had overcast skies all day and intermittent rain and sleet. But there were still plenty of signs of spring outside the window as I was worked from my home office today.




No comments:

Post a Comment