Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Life in the Fast Lane

Between work, school, and home obligations, I'm feeling pretty pressed for time.  I didn't realize how much work it would mean for me as a parent when my kids had homework.  I never thought it would be so difficult to find time to keep my house picked up.  Back when my husband and I were first married, our apartment was always neat and clean.  Now I just try to make my house not-as-embarrassing when we're having company.

I'm not the only one feeling the pinch either.  My daughter is about to go out of her gourd with the amount of homework she has tonight, and she still has to fit in piano lessons.  My husband and I are tag-teaming the doctor's appointments and lessons this afternoon, before he heads off to band practice tonight.  Plus his great aunt's are still in town visiting and want to see us tonight.  We may have to bow out of that obligation if I intend to keep my sanity.  I don't have enough calories left for the day to drink heavily tonight!

I was actually feeling pretty whiny about all of this earlier today.  I kept thinking why does this have to be so hard for me?  Why can't I just be independently wealthy and not have to work?  But then I remembered:  Oh, that's right, because I'm actually very lucky and have it easier than most other people in the world.  I also don't deserve that any more than any other people who are struggling with much more pressing problems.  I never have to worry about where I'm going to sleep tonight, or if I'll be able to feed my family.  My "first-world" problems are mostly self-imposed anyway; if I just didn't try to fit so much into my life, I wouldn't have this stress.  Although I'm really not sure what I could cut out, I don't want to get ill from dirty dishes and it might be frowned upon if we didn't have clean clothes to wear outside.  I also think we might run into issues if I didn't pay the bills.  But even when I remind myself of these truths, it's hard to end the pity party.

Oh well.  It is what it is.  I guess it's probably best to just keep moving forward so I can do it all again tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment