Wednesday, September 24, 2014

I am Fortunate

I heard some wonderful and relaxing sounds on my walk this morning.

  • Coyotes howling and yipping
  • Insects singing
  • A distant train whistle
I spend a great deal of time worrying about how I want my life to be different.  The big change that I want is to work part-time and/or from home so I have more time for my family.  This is particularly important to me because I have a challenging child.  But some things have happened recently to remind me how truly fortunate I am.

I have a professional job that supports my family and where I can use my skills to contribute to something larger than myself.  I get vacation time, sick time, and paid holidays.  I know that many other people fight to get enough hours to pay the bills and have to go to work even when they're sick.

My son is very challenging, but I'm so very lucky to have two healthy, bright, beautiful children.  I'm also extraordinarily lucky to have a partner to help me with this, and everything else.  My husband still loves me after 15 years of marriage and is still willing to stand by my side.  He even still finds me attractive, though I do not look like I did when I was 25 including carrying a few extra pounds.  Some of my friends who are dealing with challenging children are doing it basically alone, even some of them who are married.

While I live in suburbia, thanks to the creek that runs behind our house right into the rather extensive nearby open space, I still get to experience nature.  I think my soul would shrivel up and die if I wasn't around green and growing things on a regular basis (Las Vegas has never been very fun for me), so I am really fortunate to be able to see trees and plants every day.







For anyone who writes, I'm sure this experience will resonate:  I write the most wonderfully brilliant things in my head when I'm walking and showering.  Then by the time I can get in and sit down at a computer, the writing just doesn't flow as well, the words don't come as easily.  So this post sounded even better this morning, but at least I still got it down to share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment