Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Control and the Comfort Zone

I've been reminding myself lately that it's alright to feel hungry.  Experiencing mild hunger from time to time is not harmful, especially when you have some reserves on your body.  When I ran track in high school I remember one of the coaches telling us we were just afraid to push ourselves outside of our comfort zone, and that we could actually run longer and faster than we thought we could; if only we were willing to allow ourselves to experience some discomfort.  Obviously this coach didn't mean push ourselves to injury, just that it's okay to not always feel comfortable.  I think it's the same thing with eating, I've become pretty used to feeling comfortable, so I have to remind myself that hunger between meals doesn't need to be fed, and it's not going to harm me if I just let it be.

When I lost 35 pounds several years ago, it was during an extremely stressful time at work.  I remember one of my co-workers and closest friends asking me why I was even bothering with losing weight when we were dealing with mergers and RIFs.  I told her it was one thing I could control, and it felt good to have control over something and to be making progress.  I'm playing mental games with myself here, but if they help me to achieve my goal of better health and a more comfortable weight, then I don't have any problems with messing with my own head.  Especially when my scale has stared moving down again.

Fall colors on a recent sunny day

Fallen leaves covered in yesterday's rain

No comments:

Post a Comment