Friday, September 5, 2014

Friday Reflections

My workout this morning did not go as planned.  I was super exhausted after another night of not being able to sleep, even though it was raining and cooler which should have helped.  When the alarm went off at 4:15 I seriously thought about shutting it off and just going back to sleep.  But I knew that if I started allowing myself to make an exception for one day, it would just lead to another, and another, and pretty soon I wouldn't be working out anymore.  So I got up and remembered my resolution to go for a walk if I felt too tired to do anything else.  But then I realized it was still raining, which is unusual for Colorado, and made going for a walk prohibitive.  I still could have gone, but I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to soak all of my clothes.

I tried to think about what else I could do in the house that wouldn't be too difficult given my state of exhaustion.  I decided to do a yoga session.  I don't actually like doing yoga because I'm very inflexible, but I like the way I feel after I've completed the workout.  It's sort of energizing and it's always a good muscle workout.  So I managed to get a decent workout in this morning after all.

Yesterday evening was rather challenging due to my son's homework load.  He had a Scholastic News Reader, 3 math sheets (2 were supposed to be completed in class), and a letter to write to his teacher about another math sheet that he had completed but never turned in.  Not only was the amount of homework somewhat extreme, but he was pretty belligerent and so everything was taking longer than it should have.  I didn't handle him particularly well and felt like a pretty poor mother.  Which I'm sure contributed to inability to sleep last night.  I guess it's good that we get more than one chance to do this parenting thing right.

Today on the way home from work one of my favorite radio stations was doing a throw-back lunch hour.  All the songs they were playing were from my college years, and it made me feel very happy.  College was the most fun I've ever had.  Parenting is more rewarding than attending college was, but most of the time it's not more fun.  So I was enjoying the memories that those songs were dredging up of exploration and learning, both in the academic sense and in figuring out who I was going to be as an adult.

Today is my dad's birthday, the first one since his death.  He would have been 68 today had he survived.  It's still hard to believe he's gone, but I guess I am healing as I can go several days without tearing up now.  I'm meeting my mom for coffee this afternoon so we can have a little time to remember him.  I think it's probably still harder for her than it is for me since he was her daily companion and as an adult I only saw my dad about once every other week.

My husband and I have a date night planned for tomorrow evening, I'm very excited to get to spend some time as a couple.  He informed me last weekend that it had been 99 days since our last date night, so we were due.  I hope everyone else has a wonderful weekend during this time of transition from summer to fall!

I think we're also going to need to pick cherries this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment