Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Reset Again

I'm back and I've successfully adjusted my attitude...again.  I've really been working on stress management and mindfulness lately.  I'll do pretty well for a time, and then several things will happen simultaneously that knock me off kilter.  I do realize that those are the times when it's most important to use the strategies I'm learning, and I'm working on it.  It's just still definitely a work in progress, and I imagine it will be a work in progress for the rest of my life.

I have an exceedingly difficult coworker who has made things rather challenging lately.  She's incredibly smart and good at what she does; you just never know if she's actually going to do the work.  If I follow up with her about a missed deadline, then I'm "micromanaging a peer."  If I follow-up with our boss about a missed deadline, then I'm "tattling and hurting teamwork."  So I've decided to take a slightly different approach with this woman.  Since nothing I do will ever make her happy, I'm just going to do the right thing and stop worrying about the way she's treating me.  I'll continue to be kind and keep her informed and in the loop, but I'm no longer going to internalize her dissatisfaction.  Hopefully this will work and keep me in a better head space.

We've also been dealing with some fairly extreme reactions and behavior from our son recently.  I'm not sure what's causing this, and I don't think he's sure either.  It may just be getting ready to transition as school gets out at the end of the week.  But we've had some rough interactions lately, although I'm actually pretty happy with how we ultimately handled a melt-down last night.  My husband and I managed to keep our tempers in check and eventually get our son calmed down and talking.  I'm even happier to report that there was no yelling in my house this morning.  That may not seem like such a great victory, but when you have a child who purposely does the exact opposite of what he's supposed to be doing most mornings making everyone late, no yelling is a real accomplishment.  Yes, I still think children are worth all of this.

In fitness news, I went for an interval run yesterday morning and found that I've managed to stay in shape better than I realized.  I could have run much longer intervals, so I'll be adjusting the length of the intervals for tomorrow morning's run.  I've always enjoyed running.  In high school I was on the track team, although at that time I competed in sprints.  I was always a fast runner and thought that's where I should be.  I was good, but never great.  In college I tried out ROTC for a semester where we did longer runs on a regular basis.  The two-mile run was always timed and we were competing against each other.  There were about 60 other students in the program, mostly males, and only two of the males could beat me in that run:  Carl and Sam.  I still remember their names because it really frustrated me that I could never surpass those two.

I actually dream about running sometimes.  In my dreams I can run so fast that I practically fly, and some of the time I do rise in the air when I push off.  I think I mostly have those dreams when it's been awhile since I've run.  The thing is, it's hard to run; and it's even harder when you don't do it regularly.  So every time I get out of the habit, it's a challenge to start again.  Then I'll have a running dream and remember how good it feels and find the motivation to start up again.  I'm always very glad when I get back into it, so I suppose I should stop quitting.  It's amazing how quickly a busy week or an illness can sideline my running, and it's so easy to slip out of the habit.  It seems a bit unfair that stopping is so much easier than starting.  But that's life, and as I regularly remind my children, no one ever said it was going to be fair.

I'm going to do a weigh-in this weekend, no excuses.  I'll let you know how I'm progressing according to the scale.

For everyone out there struggling with anything, please know that you're not alone; and your problems aren't inconsequential just because they may not be as severe as others'.

The evening sun shining on our maple tree leaves

We're getting into our spring storm pattern, and I LOVE this picture of the clouds

No comments:

Post a Comment