Thursday, May 15, 2014

Healthy Eating and Scone Recipe

I'm working at home today (unexpectedly) because my son was suspended for the day.  For rehashing a long-ago episode with a perceived slight to one of his friends.  He got a write-up for it the first time, and a one-day vacation from school for it this time.  He has a list of required items that he has to work through for the day, and some other options items.  The required items include homework and cleaning his room, in addition to a couple of other items.  The optional items include things like scrubbing the baseboards throughout the house.  Maybe I'll get some good deep cleaning out of this situation.  I also think it really hit home because his class is going on a field trip to the Colorado History Museum today.  He loves history and has to miss out.  So maybe this will make an impact on the behavior choices he makes in the future.

I do have to comment on how grateful I am for my wonderful sister-in-law.  When I texted her to tell her about the suspension she offered to drive the 42+ miles from her house to ours to spend the afternoon with my son if I needed to go into the office.  I hope my brother regularly recognizes how sweet and generous his wife really is.  When it comes to in-laws, I know I won the lottery there!

I was able to get a couple of pictures that I either wouldn't be here for during the day normally, or wouldn't have time to set the tripod up for on a regular day.

Full moon this morning

Dew on the grass shining in the early morning sun

I've also been managing to eat well, which is something that I've struggled with on my work-from-home days in the past.  At work there just isn't any other food available, so I the temptation isn't there in the same way.  When I'm home I can just walk into the kitchen at any moment.  So far today I've been able to use the appropriate self-talk every time an urge to head into the kitchen crops us.  I did give myself a leg-up this morning by making myself scones (again, since I didn't have to commute into the office).  I developed this recipe after a great deal of research about how to make scones as healthy as possible, using as little sugar as possible.  Obviously these still aren't health food, but when I'm really in the mood for scones they are a much better option than Starbucks or Panera.  Plus they have some extra fiber and protein so they stick with me better.



Darcy’s (Slightly) Healthier Scones

Ingredients

  • Dry Ingredients
    • ½ cups AP flour
    • 1 ¼ cups instant oats
    • 2 tbsp sugar
    • ½ tsp salt
    • 1 tbsp baking powder
    • ½ cup nuts
    • ½ cup dried fruit
  • Fat
    • 6 tbsp unsalted butter – butter must be cold
  • Wet Ingredients
    • 1 egg
    • ½ cup milk


Directions

  • Preheat oven to 425°
  • Sift and mix dry ingredients well
  • Cut in the fat
  • Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl
  • Add wet ingredients – mix as little as possible
  • Gently knead just until dough is cohesive
  • On a floured surface, gently pat out/fold the dough until it is about ½ inch think
  • Brush top with milk and sprinkle with a small amount of sugar
  • Bake for 12 – 15 minutes on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper or a silpat
  • Place on a cooling rack


Tips

  • You can add any variety of nuts and fruit and/or you can add chocolate chips.
  • You can make a glaze with powdered sugar and a small amount liquid (milk, water, fruit juice) and/or flavors instead of brushing the top of the scones, but this decreases the health factor.  Or you can just leave the top as is which slightly increases the health factor.
  • You can make the scones savory by adding cheese, herbs, or other items.  Do not brush or glaze the scones when making savory scones.
  • The scones can be stored in a container at room temperature for about a week or frozen for several months.


No comments:

Post a Comment