Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Listening To My Body

If you've been following this blog for any time, you probably know that I get up at 4:15 every weekday morning to work out.  I'm never thrilled when the alarm goes off, although I use an app called Gentle Alarm and it plays Extreme's Rise 'N Shine which is one of the prettiest songs ever written.  So I manage to get up, throw my workout clothes on, brush my teeth, pull my hair back and get going.  Lately I've been so exhausted that it's been a bit more challenging to get up and get going.

Last Thursday evening I had planned my workout on the Skimble Workout Trainer app and was ready for Friday morning.  Except when I woke up on Friday, I was so fatigued that I figured I wouldn't even be able to manage a push up.  So I went for a walk instead.  Normally I walk at about 3.9 miles per hour according to the Runtastic pedometer app (yes, my entire life is on my smart phone), and I thought I'd just get out and walk but not push myself too hard.  Fortunately I come from a long line of fast walkers, it's only as my mom has gotten into her sixties that I can easily keep up with her, so my "stroll" that morning was still 3.7 MPH.

I did a cardio workout yesterday morning so I knew that I needed to do a strength workout this morning.  But again I woke up and realized that my body wasn't going to be able to do the workout as planned.  However, this morning I just decided I'd push through it, as I can't keep "making excuses."  I had to use the lighter weights since I couldn't even lift the weights I normally use, and my push ups were pathetic.  Doing front-back jacks for 60 seconds just about did me in.

It can be hard to know when I'm just being weak and don't feel like pushing myself, and when I'm actually so physically worn out that I could hurt myself exercising.  Reflecting back on it now, I probably should have just gone for a walk again this morning.  At least it's still doing something physical, and I'm darn lucky that I didn't injure myself this morning.  While it is important to push myself and make sure that I'm getting proper exercise, I also need to learn to truly listen to my body.

I remember one year at an annual physical with my doctor he asked me if I exercised.  I told him I usually did between 5 and 6 days per week.  He was pleased, and told me that lots of people tell him they don't have time to work out regularly.  He said he always responded to them with, "well then, work out irregularly!"  So even if I don't get the proper strength/cardio combo in every week, I guess it's good that I'm at least trying.  My plan for the future is to pay closer attention to how I'm feeling physically and if I feel fine but just don't feel like working out, I'll know that's mental and I just need to work through it.  But if I don't feel fine, I'll lace up my tennis shoes and head out for a walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment