Sunday, April 27, 2014

Astonishing Nature

I realized that due to my writing hiatus I never posted pictures of the crab apple tree on our creek when it bloomed.  I did take pictures though, so I have them to share now.



It looked absolutely stunning about a week ago.  It's starting to fade now, it's definitely a short-lived blooming.  But although the tree isn't as striking, the ground around the tree is very festive right now.


Yesterday I did some yard work starting to clean up for spring.  We're running a little late on getting the yard ready, but the past couple of weekends haven't been conducive to working in the yard.  It felt good to get out and dig in the dirt.  I saw lots of little insects and spiders, especially pill bugs.  It's a nice reminder of how much life is out in the yard.  I also had some company from a little rabbit.  


When I was cleaning up one of the beds, I noticed that there was a plant sprouting right up through a dead leaf; it had created a perfect hole through the middle of the leaf.


This week on walks I also saw many other wonderful sights.  There were mushrooms growing on an old tree stump, a tulip garden at my son's school, and lots of beautiful flowering trees and shrubs.  Nature really is amazing, especially this time of year when everything is waking up again.





Last night my daughter and I walked a 5K for the virtual series of 5K races we're doing this year.  It was a beautiful evening and we had some nice mother-daughter time.  We heard frogs croaking, birds singing, and saw a heron (or maybe a crane, but I think it was a heron) fly overhead.


No comments:

Post a Comment