Monday, April 28, 2014

Colors and How Not to Parent

I don't know why favorite colors have always been so important to people, but as long as I can remember I've answered that inevitable question with, "blue and green."  My son asked me my third favorite color and I told him purple.  When I was younger I didn't really know why I liked those colors so much, but I think I've got it figured out now.




I love the color of trees against the sky, and lilacs are my favorite flowers.  I think it's probably because they're so brief in their beauty and it just seems so special.

Last night we watched the latest episode of The Cosmos.  It's a fantastic show and it makes for good and educational family viewing.  Neil deGrasse Tyson was discussing how we can't ever actually touch another person.  This morning my son was mad because I made the totally unreasonable demand that he wear a sweatshirt since it was only 36 degrees.  I told him I was tired of the melodrama and to cool it.  He hit my arm and when I told him he's not allowed to hit, he told me that he hadn't actually touched me.  I told him he'd better stop or he wouldn't be allowed to watch The Cosmos any longer; after I laughed out loud.  There goes my parenting cred...I don't think I'm supposed to laugh at those things!  Oh well, it did diffuse the tension over the stupid sweatshirt.

I used to think that someday this parenting thing would get easier, but then I look at my 44-year old brother-in-law and the somewhat off-the-beaten-path choices he's made for his life and I know my in-laws still worry.  So it probably doesn't ever get any easier, but I imagine some day we won't fight over jackets when it's cold!


No comments:

Post a Comment