Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Getting Back on Course

Lately I've been feeling a little down, and pretty bad about myself because I've been unable to make any progress in losing weight. So I've decided that I need to make some fundamental changes to provide myself a better chance of success.

I'm going to start getting some sleep. I've reached the point where I'm willing to try sleeping pills again. I won't use them daily, but I can't keep functioning at such a reduced capacity because it negatively impacts every part of my life. I know it's contributing to why I seem to be unable to make good food decisions when it's in front of me.

I'm going to work on my stress. I'm honestly not even sure why I feel stressed any longer. I have so much in my life for which to be grateful, and all in all it's a pretty good and comfortable life. Even so, I frequently feel tense and stressed. So I'm working my way through a stress management book. I'm hoping that will also help me to sleep better and mean the pills will just be a back-up plan.

I'm going to faithfully use My Fitness Pal again. It was by tracking my calories with that app that I was able to lose weight in the past. I've been using it in a very spotty fashion for the past three years. It's time to be diligent again and keep myself honest on the number of calories I'm consuming. I'm happy to report that today I ate the proper number of calories and the right kinds of food.

I'm going to try to be kinder to myself. Everything I've ever read about weight-loss (or any personal improvement) is that people are more successful when they treat themselves with kindness. I haven't been feeling very good about myself lately, and even getting back down to my goal weight won't change that if I don't figure out how to accept me as I am. I realized something today that may really help: I am important enough to feel better.

I know I've re-committed in the past and done well for a short time, but was never able to sustain it. So I guess there's no guarantee that this time will be any different. But I'm hoping that a more multi-faceted approach dealing with some of the underlying issues will yield a better result.

We've had a couple of nice, rainy days and the temperature tonight is just perfect, even if the humidity is higher than I'd like

Water droplets on the spider web in the evergreen bush.

Another view of the water-covered spider web.

The beautiful lilies in my backyard.

Rain drops on the leaves.

Book Recommendation: I just finished listening to the Drunken Fireworks audio book by Stephen King this morning while I was working out. I love his writing and his character development, and it was so much fun to listen to someone read his work with a North Eastern accent. I definitely recommend it for anyone who enjoys audio books.
I may make this a regular feature since I read so much (in this rare case, listen) and like to share good books with others.


No comments:

Post a Comment