Sunday, March 9, 2014

Weekly Weigh-In

I was actually pretty excited about the weigh-in this week since the scale had been sitting at 132.2 from Thursday through Saturday (I guess it's time to up the intensity of the exercise since it wasn't going down), and then I stood on the scale this morning and it read 133.5.  I'm actually not terribly disappointed since it's down from last week, just not as excited as I otherwise would have been.  My husband told me it's probably just because the delicious french onion soup with spare ribs and Gruyere cheese he made us last night for dinner had so much salt.  So we'll see if the high sodium just caused some water weight retention when I weigh myself tomorrow morning.

Even though the weight isn't coming off as fast as I'd like it to be, I was pleasantly surprised by something different this week  I'm actually starting to feel more comfortable with what I’m seeing in the mirror.  I clearly need to make better choices with food, but I am exercising at least 6 days per week, many weeks it's every day, and the exercise is making me stronger and fitter.  I actually have some muscle definition and I'm feeling much less self-conscious.  This isn't about just a destination of a goal weight.  I've been there before and it's not a destination, it's something that requires constant maintenance.  This is about making good choices and being healthy.  So even if it takes me longer to reach the weight I'm aiming for, I think I am getting healthier which is what is truly important.





It's an absolutely beautiful day here in Colorado.  We can have pretty extreme and rapid weather changes here and this weekend is no exception.  On Friday night, my son and I went to the Mother-Son event hosted by his elementary school.  It was fun to get to spend some time together and the PTA made pinterest-worthy snacks.  The theme was olympics and the snacks were medals and olympic torches.  The medals were crafted by using fruit-by-the-foot snacks and oreos; and the torches were ice-cream cones filled with cheetos.  Very clever.  Since we live so close to the school and the parking is a nightmare, we always walk to these events.  So my son and I walked home through a fresh snow fall, everything was draped in white and it was so serene and quiet, and very beautiful.

Fast-forward two days later and most of the snow has melted and it's supposed to reach 70 degrees today.  My in-laws have asked us to go for a walk with them this afternoon to get ice cream.  So I've carefully figured out my calories for the day and I'm going to have a very small portion.  At least we're walking the 2 1/2 miles each way, that certainly helps.

My little man with the snow-capped peaks in the background

The other thing I'm terribly excited about this morning is that I actually saw some green, spring really is on it's way soon!
I think I need to clean out my flower beds!




No comments:

Post a Comment