Monday, August 24, 2015

New Words, Failure, and Anticipation

I learned a new word today that describes something I've been doing a great deal of lately: lalochezia. (Thanks to Mental Floss.) It refers to the emotional relief gained by using indecent or vulgar language. I've been cussing up a blue streak lately because I've been so darn stressed out due to work. I know that many people are worried about the stability of their jobs in the current environment and that there is nothing unique going on in my situation. But it doesn't change the fact that I'm having a difficult time dealing with this stress on top of the recent changes for my children in their schools.

So of course I've been stress eating...knowingly. At this point I think it's pretty unlikely that I'm going to be successful with my current weight loss plan. I guess I just don't want it badly enough, since I'm allowing myself to choose comfort food, and lots of it, over healthy eating. I know that healthy eating would help me to manage my stress better, but instead I'm currently choosing to remain stuck in this vicious cycle.

One positive thing that is coming my way is a visit to Illinois to see my grandma. My mom is going with me so the three of us can spend some time together. I'm sure I'll see my aunts, uncles, and multitude of cousins while I'm there; but the plan is to spend as much time as possible with my grandma on her farm. We'll have to see how the eating goes out there as I'm sure I'll be served chicken pot pie, meatloaf, potatoes, and lots of desserts. Plus my grandma knows how much I love mints so she always stocks up when I visit. We're flying out this coming Wednesday afternoon, and coming home Sunday evening. I can hardly wait to spend some time out in the middle of nowhere where I won't see anyone but family. I'll be able to really see the stars at night, and the significantly lower altitude combined with no people around should make running much easier. I'll be sure to post lots of photos of the trip!

Here are a couple of pictures from my walk with my husband tonight. The awful wildfires are still making it pretty hazy here.



No comments:

Post a Comment