Saturday, August 22, 2015

First-World Technology Problems and Stress Eating



I bought my Nikon D7000 camera in the spring of 2011. This wasn't a cheap purchase, and I saved up for quite some time before I bought it. Of course something that is over 4 years old can be somewhat ancient from a technology standpoint. I've loved it, and still do, but of course I'm starting to have some issues with the older technology. It doesn't do wireless uploads like the new models, so I have to have access to a computer to pull the images off the camera. We recently updated both of our main computers, including my laptop, to Windows 10. Now when I plug the camera into the computers via USB, the computers no longer see the pictures on the camera. I'm sure with a little research I can figure this out, and as a work-around until I have time to do that research, I've just been pulling the SD card out of the camera and plugging it into the computer to get my pictures. Now I'm fully aware that this is NOT a big deal, though I still feel frustrated sometimes with the pace of technology which can sometimes make things more difficult. Technology is supposed to make things easier for us! Anyway...

I'm pretty certain that my third 10-day challenge is going to be an abject failure. At this point I'll be lucky if I end up at the same weight I where I finished the last challenge. I think it's probably more likely that I'll weigh more. I just haven't been able to figure out how to keep making good eating choices. Last night I knew what I needed to eat for dinner, and then allowed my stress, (which I thought I was dealing with but one little extra thing threw me over the edge) and the associated physical symptoms, to derail my eating plan for dinner. I got some discomfiting news about work recently, and my flexible schedule, which just barely worked for my family as it was, is likely to be revoked in the not-too-distant future. With both of the kids starting at new schools this fall and no bus for my daughter, a schedule change will be extremely challenging for us. So while I thought I was dealing alright, my upset stomach and eating choices clearly point to a different conclusion.

I know that my life is relatively easy compared to people in Syria, or people who work multiple hourly jobs with no sick time. I know that I have an abundance of things for which to be grateful. I know that happiness and contentment are more about mental framing and choices than external circumstances. I know all this, and I still allow myself to get upset and stressed about balancing family and career commitments. I guess I'm not doing such a great job at choosing my course right now. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment