Tuesday, October 7, 2014

All Work and No Play

This is a busy time of year for me at work, although not as busy as January through May tends to be.  There are just several things that get crammed in to this time period, which can't be started early because decisions aren't made yet, but once they are made, it's a mad dash to the finish line.  I've actually been super productive at work which tends to happen when I have this much on my plate.  Last week I was a bit worried about whether or not I'd get things done in time.  But after working some this weekend and really pounding some things out, I'm feeling like everything will come together.

The problem with this time is that since I'm hyper-focused on work, I don't get much downtime.  I know people who seem practically super-human who work constantly and never seem to suffer, outwardly at least.  I am not one of those super-humans; I need time to relax my body and my brain.  Maybe I'm just not as smart as those folks and so my brain has to run at higher RPMs to do this much thinking, or maybe I just don't push myself hard enough.  But I find that if I don't give myself a little downtime, I'll make errors.  I have found when working on a difficult formula or report before that walking away (literally taking a walk outdoors) for a short time helps because when I return it's immediately obvious what the problem is.

So I'm trying to balance my obligations at work and at home against some time to just rest and relax.  I haven't even been reading that much lately because right now it's taking too much mental effort, which is pretty strange for me.  This is also why my posts have been a little light on text recently; I just don't have the ability to string words together in a coherent fashion at the end of the day.  But this too shall pass and hopefully I'll feel ready to use my brain again on something besides work soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment