Thursday, July 10, 2014

Gratitude and Friendship

I wasn't able to post last night because we were out with my brother-in-law and his family since they're in town visiting.  My sister-in-law used to be my closest female friend, but several years ago she and her husband (my husband's brother) went through a transformation because they were dissatisfied with their lives.  It was very difficult for all of us and they weren't willing to discuss anything other than the changes they were making, so I lost that friendship.  We never stopped talking or anything, I just couldn't share my deepest thoughts and what was going in my life any longer.  As part of the transformation, they eventually moved away to buy property and get away from the prevailing political and religious beliefs in the Denver metro area.

They got in Tuesday night and the conversations I've been having with my sister-in-law feel very much like the old conversations pre-transformation.  It's almost like it was about 6 years ago again.  I'm not sure why this is; maybe it's because they're happier with their life now and don't feel it's necessary to constantly discuss it or try to convert everyone.  But whatever the reason, I'm feeling extremely grateful for this time and the chance to catch up.  I don't think my husband is having exactly the same experience with his brother, he also lost his closest male friend and concert buddy when this happened.  But I think he's finding it much easier to be with his brother than it had been in long time.  Plus, I'm really glad to see my nieces again since these kiddos grow up so darn fast!

We only get a few days with them here and then they'll head back home.  But I'm going to try to really enjoy the visit while they're here.  It's nice to be pleasantly surprised by people and to just feel gratitude for what is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment