Friday, October 9, 2015

Challenges

a.k.a. "What a Week!: Round 2"

Unbelievably (at least to the me from last weekend), this week was more challenging and difficult than last week. Last week at work when I was figuring out how to do the job of the recently departed co-worker, at least I knew what we needed to do. This week we found that there weren't even any notes left on what needed to get done. So not only did I have to figure out how to do the work to train someone else, I had to figure out what the work even was.

My son promised his teachers he would just do what he needed to do this week and see how he felt at the end of week. The only successful day was Monday, then it was downhill from there; worse than last week. But I do see a light at the end of this tunnel. We're almost through with new work that my former co-worker used to do, so that really should start to level off. We talked to my son and realized that he had been forgetting to take his medicine. Well, "forgetting" might not be the correct word here. He said his alarm to take the medicine was going off at an inconvenient time so he was ignoring it. So we reset the alarm and bought him a weekly pill container so we can make sure he's taking his medicine.

We knew that the transition to middle school was going to be tough, but I don't think we were fully prepared for exactly how tough it was going to be. The part I was the most worried about, him being home alone in the morning, has proven to be the most problematic issue. But I'm hoping that a solution will present itself soon. I may have some news soon and will keep you all posted.

Emotionally it's been a tough week. I've spent so much time feeling overwhelmed and frustrated, that I eventually hit my factory reset and my default emotional response of anger was triggered. Yesterday I was dealing with impotent and useless rage which made me physically ill. Today it turned into much more productive anger. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but my whole life I've experienced this particular type of anger which gives me strength and helps me to focus and accomplish things. My parents used to set it off on purpose when I was younger and needed to get something done.

I am working to make some lemonade out of these lemons. While I've been crazy-busy at work and somewhat...okay, maybe it's more accurate to say extremely, frustrated at times, I've proven to myself that I can persevere and figure things out. While my son's behaviors have been exceedingly frustrating, my husband and I are learning a great deal and finding new tools for our parenting tool belts. I intend to make next week a better week, one way or another.

The moon and Venus this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment