Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Teaching Children About Choices

I thought it was hard to choose to control my own temper; well that's nothing compared to teaching a child to control his temper.  This first week back at school after winter break is always challenging because everyone is so tired.  Tonight my son allowed his temper to run away with him again.  After he calmed down a bit I talked to him about choosing to control his temper instead of letting his temper control him.  He seemed to understand then, although he despaired of ever learning to control his temper.

Later he got upset again and said that maybe he liked giving in to his temper.  I told him that while that may be true because sometimes it does feel good to just go and let your temper have its way; that he would regret it afterwards.  He then told me that was my brain, not his, and he wouldn't feel bad afterwards.  I then reminded him that he always feels bad after he's been mean and apologizes.  His response was, "I haven't apologized this time, have I?"  At which point I demonstrated another control mechanism and left the room.

I love being a mother.  But there are times when I think the reason I am a mother is because I yearned for patience one too many times!

No comments:

Post a Comment