Monday, January 3, 2011

Charting the Course to Fitness

Yesterday I posted all of my current measurements to hold myself accountable for changing those measurements.  I can't just keep talking about doing it, I've got to make choices that will lead me there.

My goals:

  • Reach a weight between 125 and 128 pounds
  • Reach a BMI below 22
  • Reduce my waist size to 28 inches
  • Reduce my hip size to 39 inches
  • Obtain a waist-to-hip ratio of under .75
I'd like to reach these goals by the end of June, 6 months from now.

How I'm going to reach these goals:
  • Make choices to move more often.  I work as an analyst and spend my day in front of the computer.  Work has been very busy lately so I often sit for very long stretches of time.  I need to remember to get up and move around the office during the day.
  • Make choices to eat food that is healthy for me and fuels my body properly.  I need to plan ahead and bring food that is already prepared that is good for me.  Too often I'm in such a rush that I don't make or bring the right foods with me to work and end up eating whatever I can get quickly.
  • Exercise 6 days per week.  It doesn't matter which days and I'm not training for a marathon.  But I need to get some form of aerobic exercise for at least 30 minutes 6 days every week.  I also need to do strength training for at least 20 minutes 3 days per week.
    • I have several exercise DVDs that I can use to help out.
    • I love to walk and frequently do during lunch.
    • I have all kinds of exercise equipment in the house.
    • I have a subscription to Women's Health and can use the monthly exercise section to shake things up.
    • I've got a Wii that can be especially helpful during the cold winter months when it can be harder to get outside during the day.
  • I'm considering using a program called myfitnessbuddy on my Android phone to help with tracking food and exercise.  If I go that route I'll be sure to post a review.
So those are the goals and the plan.  I'll post updated measurements every Sunday to let you know how I'm doing following my charted course to better health and fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment