Friday, March 11, 2011

I've Discovered a Healthier Version of Me

I'm going to try really hard to find the time to post my "weekly" chart this Sunday.  I'm still making good progress, although things have of course started to slow down and get harder.  At first the weight was coming off so fast, practically every morning the scale would have good news.  Now it's remaining stagnant for a longer period of time.  But it is still trending in the right direction.

The really amazing thing is how much my mind-set and my health have changed.  When I first started counting my calories using myfitnesspal I was mortified that I could only have 1200 calories.  I started exercising a lot more just to be able to eat enough.  Now my body has reset and 1200 calories is more than enough most days.  In fact to keep the weight loss going I've pretty much quit using my exercise as a way to get more calories and I've been sticking with just 1200 food calories per day.

But that doesn't mean I've quit exercising.  I'm doing just as much if not more than I was when I needed the added calories.  I really enjoy feeling stronger, and it's amazing the mood improvements I get when I exercise.  It's just a habit now.  Even during my busiest days I always find time for exercise.  Like a day recently when I was traveling for work and wasn't going to have any time for a workout and so I chose not to take the train at the airport and instead walked to my concourse.  It was only 20 minutes, but I found time even that day for something.

One of the tricks that I've been using that's really helping is to play music.  It makes me happy and it makes me want to move.  I finish up my workout with a smile on my face and in a better mood.  Gretchen Rubin recently blogged about how exercise contributes to happiness at The Happiness Project.  BTW:  This is a great blog to read if you're working on choosing happiness in your life.

On another note; I'm going to try to get some rest now.  It is almost 2 AM and I have to get up for the day in less than 3 hours. I did manage to get about 2 hours of sleep tonight before I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep.  Work stress.  I've frequently had problems sleeping but over the years have developed so many tricks to help me get back to sleep that I've been doing much better.  But I have a huge deadline looming at work tomorrow and haven't had as much time as I would have liked to work on it because of too many competing priorities.  Does anyone have a job any longer that doesn't expect the work of two people?  I just wish I got the salaries for all of the jobs that I'm doing!  Anyway, off to bed to try to get some sleep.  Lack of sleep definitely doesn't help with health goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment