Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Choosing to be...Happy

My dentist always gives me a beautiful calendar with stunning nature pictures at the end of every year.  There are also inspirational quotes in the calendar which aren't attributed to anyone, but are nice to read.  The July 2011 quote really speaks to me:
Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances.
This is confirmed by much of the current happiness research that is going on.  It makes me think of the movie Life is Beautiful.  You can choose to be happy no matter what your circumstances or situation.  I try to keep this in mind when I feel like indulging in negative emotions.  I know that it hurts me and it isn't good for anyone, but I still occasionally allow myself to wallow in anger and self-pity.

I can choose to be happy even when I'm feeling overwhelmed and it's hard to fit everything in.  I can choose to be happy even when things are going on at work that aren't easy to deal with or handle.  I can choose to be happy even when my kids are being difficult.  It is a choice of which course to take with each step.  Sometimes it's harder to choose the right course; but it's always more rewarding in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment